Labor & Working Families
The feeling of living paycheck to paycheck is one I know well. Growing up in Petersburg, we scraped to get by, budgeting every penny that we earned, working hard day after day. Members of my family still make the minimum wage, and I know how difficult it is for them to survive on what’s in their bank account.
My story isn’t unique. Virginia’s working families aren’t getting a fair shake. In fact, Oxfam ranks Virginia the worst state in the country for workers. And the issues we’ve always faced have been exacerbated by the coronavirus pandemic. Working families deserve a living wage, benefits, and a voice.
All too often politicians make promises to our working families but choose to side with special interests instead.
Record & Experience
I’m never shy in standing with working families. I’ve stood on the picket line with bus drivers on strike and attended rallies with our airport workers. I wrote the Governor when the coronavirus pandemic first started to advocate for paid sick leave, hazard pay for grocery workers, and a mask-mandate on public transportation to keep bus drivers safe.
As Delegate, I:
- Passed groundbreaking legislation instituting a prevailing wage on all state-funded construction projects
- Co-sponsored legislation repealing the “Comstock rule” that banned the use of Project Labor Agreements, which will help thousands of construction workers get quality health coverage
- Sponsored legislation to raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour
- Passed a bill that cracks down on companies that don’t pay their workers
- Sponsored legislation to ensure that firefighters who contracted cancer on the job were covered by workers compensation
Plans as Governor
As Governor, I am ready to elevate workers’ voices and make Virginia, once the capital of the Confederacy, into a leading pro-worker model for the nation. We know that the opportunity to join a union — no matter where you work — is the best way to raise wages, improve working conditions, create family-sustaining jobs, and create an economy that works for everyone.