Here’s the Problem
The coronavirus pandemic has changed life for all Virginians. This crisis has exposed what was just beneath the surface: that too many don’t have what they need to get by. The time is now to support our neighbors, our workers, and our families.
With all of the challenges and inequities exposed by the pandemic, we need strong, fresh leadership. Now more than ever. We need to address this public health crisis, but we can also use this opportunity to fix our healthcare system and make our economy work for all Virginians.
We know that minority communities bear the brunt of this unprecedented pandemic, facing higher rates of infection and mortality. Fewer than one in five Black workers and one in six Hispanic workers can work from home, putting these Virginians at higher risk. We are also facing a housing crisis and shortage. Many are struggling to pay their rent and mortgages and, without relief, they fear eviction.
My Record & Experience
As Delegate, I have:
- Proposed a comprehensive Working Families Bill of Rights, offering fresh ideas to improve workplace safety standards and ensure stronger benefits for workers and the unemployed during the pandemic and beyond.
- Advocated on behalf of many of our dedicated frontline workers — including grocery store workers, bus operators, and airline service personnel.
- Led the call for comprehensive paid sick leave so workers and their families can get the care they need, which is more critical than ever during COVID-19.
- Led the Prince William County Delegation to submit a letter to Chief Judge Coleman extending the moratorium on eviction proceedings in my district.
- Introduced an amendment to the state budget to restore funding for additional civil defense attorneys to represent individuals in eviction cases.
- After listening to my constituents and Latinx community leaders, I called on Governor Northam to ensure greater outreach on Spanish media and bilingual contact tracing.
My Plans as Governor
I know that now is the time for action. Our future demands a leader with a vision, creativity, and tenacity to fight for what’s right when serving Virginians — and I’m ready to be that and more. I haven’t taken no for an answer. And I won’t start now.